In the past few years, the IT application landscape has undergone tremendous transformation. To maintain competitiveness, organizations require software systems that are trustworthy and competent in supporting complex business processes. Also, the demand for agility and speed is paramount. These growing demands are putting a great deal of pressure on the quality of processes and operations.
In such a scenario, leveraging the conventional approach to quality assurance (QA) testing practices can’t provide momentum and bring the efficiency needed to maintain pace with the business modifications.
Having a Testing Center of Excellence (TCoE) is the best option here due to its ability to offer proven results by allowing businesses to optimize the quality and performance of an application, bring greater alignment between IT and business, enhance the efficiency and do much more with their QA objectives.
This blog explores what is TCoE, why businesses need it, when to implement it and how to set it up.
What is TCoE
It is a framework that defines, implements, and reviews the testing controls and standards across an enterprise. It comprises testing specialists from varied roles and insights. While TCoE ensures that the testing protocols, toolsets, and KPIs are maintained at a centralized level, it enables quick deployment of any tester to any team.
Why TCoE is important for businesses
Some of the business benefits of leveraging the TCoE include:
- Lower the test execution time by automating the repetitive tasks and using templates, reusable methods, and test cases.
- Optimally use the existing resources, budget, tools, and environment.
- Improved risk management with lowered failure chances and no chances of high severity defects.
- Better equipped to manage the business challenges and prioritize team tasks.
When do you need TCoE
Don’t forget to ask the questions given below if TCoE is on your mind.
- Is your QA process ‘only’ aligned with the project targets and not with the end business goals?
- Are your projects facing the skilled testing resources crunch?
- Are your QA processes facing transparency issues?
- Are you looking to curtail the testing time without hampering quality?
- Do you want to establish a standard QA process for your enterprise?
- Is your project not able to meet the delivery deadline and often face defect leakage?
- Are your resources not updated with the latest trends in the world of testing?
- Do you want to identify the common testing KPIs?
- Are the organizational processes and tooling across teams not homogenized?
- Does the shifting projects and processes make your testers often change teams and deliverables?
- Is your project team reinventing the wheel too often?
How to implement TCoE?
There are world-class third-party QA service providers available that can make the move towards TCoE smooth and hassle-free. Also, they will offer specialist resources who enjoy the expertise in test process assessment and propose improvement based on quality frameworks and proven methodology. A collaboration with a business with TCoE capabilities is beneficial as they can resolve the test process issues and implement the steps given below efficiently:
- Step #1: Identify and prioritize the challenges you want the TCoE to resolve. At the least, the TCoE should aim to standardize the tools and processes, and further can be customized such as technology implementation, defining and measuring KPIs, or expansion of the QA team.
- Step #2: Form the governing and strategy team for TCoE comprising executive sponsor, steering committee, IT, and business subject matter experts who will be responsible for managing the project.
- Step #3: Create the TCoE roadmap keeping in mind the organizational targets and outcomes in mind as that will ensure project success.
- Step #4: Define the working process of the governing team with other teams to avoid future missteps and ensure the proper rollout of processes and tools.
- Step #5: Have a repository for the existing tools, processes, methodologies, and KPIs for future references.
- Step #6: Collaborate/engage with the in-house team to get a clear picture of their requirements to strengthen the foundation.
- Step #7: Inform across the organization about TCoE, the purpose, its targets to drive the adoption.
Forsys’ TCoE services are unique and innovative as we not only manage end-to-end QA automation processes but also set up cross-functional TCoE that streamlines testing processes and removes redundancies.
To know in detail how our specialists TCoE team can help you transform your testing and QA functions quickly, get in touch with us today.